Featured Author: Clara @ GardenerGigs
When your family is tired of being stuck inside, there’s only one solution: get outside and have some safe fun in your backyard! Your backyard can be the perfect escape from boredom and can even help your kids grow into smarter, healthier, and happier adults. Wondering what steps you need to turn your backyard into an oasis of fun and learning for your family? If so, then you definitely need these family-friendly and backyard-boosting resources!
Keep Your Family Learning Outdoors
Any activity that combines education and fun is a win-win for parents and children, so consider planning some family-friendly and educational activities in your backyard.
- Outdoor learning activities can range from bird watching to watching the stars, so there is seriously something for every interest!
- If you want to get your kids into bird watching, try turning this educational activity into a scavenger hunt or another fun game.
- At night, backyard stargazing can be your go-to family activity for keeping your kids learning and having a blast in their own backyard.
- Investing in a kid-friendly telescope can help with bird watching or stargazing.
Keep Your Family Healthy in Your Yard
In addition to being an educational playground, your backyard can also provide opportunities to enhance your family’s health — especially when you grow a garden with your children.
- Growing a garden together can be a perfect physical activity for your family, but your kids are also more likely to eat their vegetables when they grow them with you.
- If you want to get started with your first family garden, beginners’ gardening guides can provide all of the advice, tips and tools you will need.
- You can also use the Smart Plant and Tree Care App to ensure that your family’s garden and plants get the proper care they need to grow and thrive.
- If you have pets that hang out in the backyard, avoid growing toxic plants in your garden.
Keep Your Family Comfy and Cool Outside
Rising temps in the summer can put a real damper on your family’s backyard activities unless you find some simple ways to help everyone keep their cool.
- Providing some shade in your backyard, using umbrellas or even vines, can keep hot weather from wrecking your outdoor plans.
- For an extra layer of comfort, consider installing a misting system in your backyard.
- If you have the extra space and time to set it up, you could also think about investing in an above ground pool to help your family cool off during the summer.
- Know that staying hydrated is even more important in warm weather, so make sure that your kids have access to plenty of water when they’re playing outside.
If home is where the heart is, your backyard should be where the fun is! There are so many exciting, educational and healthy activities you can plan for your family, without ever leaving the safety of your own yard. So, have a blast making over your backyard together!